Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Something To Smile About Part One ...

Today started off on kind of a low note. I already planned on heading into SF to cruise Golden Gate Park some, so I got up early to do so. I could feel that I was not completely in the mood and debated about going. I made myself go though. Getting lucky there is hit and miss but I look at it as a form of exercise as well ... stop laughing! :) See, I spend a number of hours there, sometimes 5 to 6, and most of it is spent walking around. So I feel good at the end of it. But that is not why I am smiling a little today.

Even though I quit my last job I was not certain I would be able to file for unemployment. It took me about a month and a half to actually do it. When I initially filed online I received paperwork about a week later saying that I was going to be getting it and how much I was awarded. A few days after that I then received the form I need to fill out that shows I was looking for work. Then a few days after that I received a letter saying I was going to have to do a phone interview for them to make their decision. They did the whole thing backwards. I assumed I would receive the letter first for the phone interview, followed by the other paperwork. Well, I filled out the work search form, mailed it in and did not get a check, right away at least. The 20th of July came, day of my phone interview, and I was a bit nervous and was not that optimistic about it. They asked me why I quit and I explained it to them.

There were a bunch of reasons but two main ones. The first being that my supervisor decided that, because our dept. was so far behind, he was implementing mandatory 10 hour days for a full week. This happened on a number of occasions. For people that were contract, this was great ... they got overtime. As a full time employee, I did not. When I asked about this my supervisor told me that I should not complain because, as a full time employee, I get benefits. This pissed me off big time! The other issue that made me leave there was when I requested the use of vacation time I had built up and worked for. When I requested it I was told it was ok to take but I would need a doctor's note. Yea ... a doctor's note for vacation time! My supervisor said that I should do it to protect myself. Complete BS! So I told the women that during the interview ... she was not happy to hear that. At the end of the call she said that she will need to call the employer to get their side of the story. She said if they could not reach the person, they would leave a message and they have 48 hours to return their call. If they were able to reach them, and are told something different, they would send me a letter and I could appeal. If they find in my favor, a check would just be issued.

Today I came home, opened my mailbox and found a check from the unemployment office! It made me smile. It also made me feel somewhat better about things here and how I was going to make ends meet. I have tried to avoid posting any of that on here because some people did not agree with what I was doing or did not believe that I was actually going through all that I said I was going through. Well, I was .... I have been 100% honest about everything since the time that it started. And although some may not agree with how I handled things, well, all I can say is that we all handle situations differently. So I am hoping that with this check, and future ones to come, that things are finally beginning to look up for me and my roommate. Things may not be exactly where I would like them to be right now but at least we know that we have a place to live and that bills can be paid.

Sorry for this being so wordy .... I just wanted to share with ya'll!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear things are going at least a little better! I get it with sleazeball bosses! My first openly gay "manager" (I use that term loosely) was a compulsive liar and only out for himself! He literally pushed me out of my last job early before a layoff but the state is not giving me grief about the shortage of work out there as long as I keep looking!